If you come across someone who is unconscious, unresponsive, not breathing or not breathing normally, they’re in cardiac arrest. The most important thing is to call 999 and start CPR to keep the blood flowing to the brain and around the body. After a cardiac arrest, every minute without CPR and defibrillation reduces someone’s chance of survival by 10 per cent.
If you’re on your own, don’t interrupt the CPR to go and get a defibrillator. If it’s possible, send someone else to find one.
When you call 999, please listen carefully, the operator will tell you the location of the nearest defibrillator.
To use a defibrillator, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Turn the defibrillator on by pressing the green button and follow its instructions.
- Step 2: Peel off the sticky pads and attach them to the patient’s skin, one on each side of the chest, as shown in the picture on the defibrillator.
- Step 3: Once the pads have been attached, stop CPR and don’t touch the patient. The defibrillator will then analyse the patient’s heart rhythm.
- Step 4: The defibrillator will assess whether a shock is needed and if so, it will tell you to press the shock button. An automatic defibrillator will shock the patient without prompt. Do not touch the patient while they are being shocked.
- Step 5: The defibrillator will tell you when the shock has been delivered and whether you need to continue CPR.
- Step 6: Continue with chest compressions and rescue breaths until the patient shows signs of life or the defibrillator tells you to stop so it can analyse the heartbeat again.
Sidmouth Defibrillator Locations:
- Sidmouth Market Place (24hr access) EX10 8AR
- Sidmouth Cricket, Tennis and Croquet Club, The Fortfield (24hr access) EX10 8NT
- The Arches, Sidmouth Esplanade (24hr access) EX10 8NS
- Sidmouth Rugby Club (24hr Access) EX10 8NJ
- Woolbrook News (24hr access) EX10 9UZ
- Sidmouth Hospice at Home building, Sidford Cross (24hr access) EX10 9RL what3words: ///flops.agree.snows
- Sidford Social Hall, Warrens Mead (24hr access) EX10 8RT
- Sidbury Village Hall (24hr access) EX10 8QF
- Fortescue Phone Box (24hr access) EX10 9QG
- Sidmouth Swimming Pool, Ham Lane, EX10 8XR
- Royal York & Faulkner Hotel, EX10 8AZ
- Trumps Court, East Street EX10 8BL
- Sidmouth Conservative Club, Radway Place EX10 8TL
- Sidmouth Tyres & Exhausts, EX10 9HL
- Sidmouth Sport and Leisure Centre, Primley Road EX10 9LH
- Sidmouth Football Club, Manstone Recreation Ground, Manstone Lane EX10 9TS
- Sid Valley Practice, The Beacon, Sedemuda Road EX10 8ET
For further information see:
This information is provided for public convenience only and is correct at time of publication. If you are aware of any changes to this information, please contact Sidmouth Town Council.